Saturday, May 9, 2009

This morning’s walk
You snugged against me, curled
Cornflower blue eyes taking in
Smudges of green
Curves of stone
Flitter of branch

Older boys stumble around the pond
Donning nets
Flailing wide for small, tailed things.

I count turtles
Their long lizard necks
Reaching towards the sun
And I tell you how we walked here before,
When you were a pebble, a plum, a palm

You slide into sleep
Dreaming of warm rivers?
Coils and caves?

We pass three men digging a grave
And I steal kisses from your head
You smell of bark and rain

I think of the winding nights
Your legs kicking
Cheeks maroon, eyes like seeds
Both of us in tears

Or when you wake
And remember us
Your smile a half moon
Your almond eyes crescents

I think of first gaze, giggle, grasp
Of the way the days avalanche by.

There is not enough time
For you to teach me all I need to know…

No comments: