Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Snuggled in

I've got a bit of a cold the past few days, so like a wuss (I mean, because I believe in assertive self-care) I'm all snuggled in bed with the cat and some dvds. It's that perfect kind of sick where I feel quite fine so long as I stay snuggled in, but if I try and do too much I am quickly aware that my energy level is non-existent.

We went to our first "Connections" group at the midwives last week. You get the choice to either continue going to your appointments with the midwives, or to be part of a group of people due around the same time as you, where you get some childbirth ed pieces and still get time with the midwives as well. So we tried it out and for the most part liked it.

They are trying their best to ease us into this whole birth thing-- they showed us a video of the very end of a water birth. Of course when the facilitator said something about how the birthing mom's mother was holding a mirror up to her daughter's perineum so she could see-- the giggling started. And Scott and I couldn't look at each other when the facilitator told us that if any fecal matter ended up in the tub, the midwives would just scoop it out.

I am torn between believing that this whole pregnancy and birth thing is totally natural-- and being completely horrified with the process. Why can't we just lay eggs instead? I would totally be down with tending to a few eggs. I'm good at snuggling in and staying warm and sedentary! Or maybe Scott could help out for awhile like the March of the Penguins daddies. Wouldn't that be cute?

Anyways, the video wasn't too traumatic-- they're saving that for later I'm sure. We were assured that we'd be seeing videos of placentas and whatever else comes out of there later on.

The little one is kicking up a storm. We can actually see his movements now-- he's quite the thrasher. And he seems to like Mexican food and spicy stuff and, well, as Scott pointed out... all the same stuff I like. Hmmm....

No comments: