Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Electile Dysfunction

I know, I know, it's been forevah.

And there's been no real electile dysfunction yet. at least from my little smidge of the world. I was just feeling naughty.

I did wake up with electile anxiety, though. I have to say it's kind of a nice change from labor anxiety, or baby registry anxiety. I went to my gentle dance class though and gently danced, and that seemed to help. It also happens to be almost 60 degrees here-- let's here it for global warming!

Stood in line for about 40 minutes to vote. I had meant to do the whole early voting thing, but between procrastination and the sniggling suspicion that somehow my early vote wouldn't count as much as my on-time vote, here we are. Plus, there's something nice about standing in line with all the other folks, and I wouldn't have gotten a free Starbucks coffee (decaf, don't worry) if I'd voted early.

I have to say that I really had this strange, strong feeling that I should get two ballots-- one for me, and one for Max. Although he's not quite 18 yet. If he was, I suspect my sciatica-- not to mention labor-- would be much more-- intense.

Sadly, or rather-- embarrasingly, I recognized almost none of the names for our local council election stuff-- but I voted for the biggies and that feels more important right now. Did I mention I got a free Starbucks coffee? : )

Just got back from a walk to our little neighborhood library, during which I encountered our friend Rob who is kindly serving as a volunteer voter's protection attorney at our old polling place down the street. While stopping to chat, a few teenagers walked by, telling us to "vote Obama!" "We did!" Rob said. On this sunny, warm day with broken leaves scattered everywhere, I felt a strong surge of hope that things will be different-- for the better-- if this election turns out how I want it to.

No comments: