Thursday, September 11, 2008

Inny or Outy?

We had our "big reveal" ultrasound this morning-- our little one is healthy and wriggling around like nobody's business. And my instincts were right...it's a boy!

I have to admit that even though I've felt it was a boy almost from the beginning, that if I could choose which gender we were having, I'd have chosen a girl. I know it's not that cool to say that, that you're supposed to just want a healthy kiddo, and that is the most important thing. We were trying for awhile to have this baby, and we're both so happy about it. But yes, I had a little wash of disappointment at first. I don't get my little MiniMe this time.

Scott was soooo happy though. He's already dreaming about shaping our baby into a little golfer, and though I'm not really sure I can handle more golf in our lives, it makes me happy to see him so excited. And when I think of what he must've been like as a little boy, and that this little boy will have some of those traits, I melt a little.

And I'm so relieved that everything inside this little kid is exactly the way it's supposed to be-- I'm such a worrywart, I was sure that our baby would have Down Syndrome, a cleft palate, spina bifida (sp?) and that really gross awful thing where the baby's born with the intestines on the outside... but none of those appear to be problems. And things I hadn't even thought to worry about, like club feet or lobster hands, were also not issues. We both watched in awe as the technician showed us the chambers of the heart, looked down into the brain, and of course-- the weiner! (The also tech told us a funny story about another tech who works there. Every time people find out they're having a boy, she tells them it has the biggest penis she's ever seen--which never fails to puff up the father with pride.) Yea!

It is still the weirdest thing to believe that Scott and I made a little wiggle worm that shares both of our dna and currently lives inside of my stomach. I keep trying to comprehend it and I can't quite get there.

After the ultrasound I headed to my first prenatal yoga class, which was great. I've never been super flexible, but after being so sedentary the past few months when I was sick, it felt really good to stretch these ole muscles out and to just breathe. There were four other women in the class, and we're all having boy except one woman whose not far along enough to tell, so that was cool.

So all is well here with us, and we're feeling pretty grateful tonight. I keep practicing saying "son." It still feels kind of weird, like referring to Scott as my "husband" when we first got married. It takes time to sink into the word and get cozy in it. I should figure out a way to scan our ultrasound photos so I can post them here...

No comments: