Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Who's a Big Girl?

So Max, aka the bebe, must be undergoing a serious growth spurt. Suddenly I've got some serious poochage going on. And I'm freaking starving all the time-- even more than usual!

The other night, I yelled to the other room "I need OJ, cake, and pretzels!" Now, I was only half serious. Scott and I have this thing we do where, particularly if we're both tucked cozily into a bed, couch, or recliner, one of us nudges the other and names a particular food we want the other to go fetch. For example, Scott's favorite nudge is the KFC nudge. "Ehhh! KFC!" he'll grunt, gently pushing at my arm as if the momentum would spring me up, into my car, and down the street to gather up some fried chickeny goodness. We never actually get the food that the other requests-- I think the whole game is actually more about trying to agitate the resting party than a serious urge for sustenance.

So I was only partially joking when I shouted "OJ, cake and pretzels." And of course, I can't have cake unless it's wheat free and lactose free (which they have at the Pepper Club where we celebrated our anniversary-- a delicious cardamom cake), and can only have wheat-free pretzels from Whole Foods that cost like $30 for a snack size bag. But the combination ran through my pregnancy addled mind and was out of my mouth.

And my sweet, sweet husband actually got up and went to the grocery store for what turned out to just be OJ and grapes. This is even more notable because it was after 7p.m. and since we live a very geriatric lifestyle, that says a lot.

But the moment he was out the door I realized I also needed Rice Krispy Treats. Now, I didn't used to eat sugar (besides the bit that goes in my decaf vanilla soy latte... which is starting to sound really good right now...) but in the early days of my pregnancy, almost nothing sounded good, so I decided to loosen up and experiment with allowing myself a little honey or sugar now and again. I called Scott on his cell phone-- I could actually still hear him in the driveway-- but he didn't pick up so instead I went downstairs to make some Rice Krispy Treats-- a wheat and dairy free treat!

When Scott got home to see the glistening marshmallow goodies fresh from the pot, he laughed and laughed at me and my hormone-driven cooking spree... but he took a break from his hilarity to eat some.

So all is well around here, despite a rising grocery bill. Other than having a cold the past few days, my energy level has been good and I'm definitely enjoying this 2nd trimester. And we watched a news spot on the new birthin' center at Mercy last night-- pretty swanky. If not for the whole having to give birth thing, I'd be hanging out there all the time...

No comments: